There are still fresh Peaches @ The Kings Drive Farmers Market-Charlotte, NC
Please use Fresh, not canned peaches
- 4 to 5 pounds Peaches
- 2 Packed cups of light brown sugar
- 6 full tablespoons of Fresh squeezed Lemon Juice , please run through a sieve
- 1 cup of Rum
- 2 cups of *Vanilla Sugar
- Please use a glass/porcelain bowl only.
then fill the bowl with peaches which have been skinned, and pit removed & cut up. If you use rubber food safe gloves it will be very easy to peal, otherwise they
are too slippery, and will take forever. You should have approx. 6 full cups after pealing, do not use less.
- add the sugar and lemon juice to the peaches
- STIR, then add 1/2 cup of RUM, and gently but completely stir.
- then COVER the bowl w/ plastic wrap-tightly, and place a plate on top of the plastic wrap
- let mixture REST for 8 to 10 hours at room temperature, do not peek. best to do this in evening , before bed, then you will be ready for the cooking procedure in the morning.
- Pour the Peach mixture in a dutch oven & start cooking over MED-HIGH heat to the boil
- then COVER the pan & REDUCE heat
- allow the peaches to COOK for about 20 minutes
- STIR occasionally to PREVENT STICKING . [if it looks like the peaches are scorching you have the heat too high]
- The peaches should look Translucent in 20 min.
- Add the Vanilla Sugar at this time & return the heat to MED HIGH
- Cook rapidly, STIR Constantly until mixture reaches 220′ [on a candy thermometer, affixed to side of pan]
- then Add the 1/2 c. of RUM and stir continuously for 2 minutes over the heat
- Please be careful, the Rum will BOIL up when added to peach mixture. It is HOT.
- after 2 minutes IMMEDIATELY slide off the burner
- at this time you will LADLE the Jam into sterilized HOT jars using a canning funnel.
- There should be at least 1/4 inch of head space at top of jars.
- secure the lids & process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- carefully lift jars and place on a towel to cool
- Enjoy !