On October 7,2001, I posted a little story about my maternal Grandmother’s [Carmella] Banana Bread. I have had 3 calls asking for the recipe. so here it is. It is so moist & not dry like other Banana bread .
*preheat oven to 350′
- All ingredients MUST be at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour [I use King Arthur all purpose]
- 1 tsp. baking soda [KA]
- 1/2 tsp salt [KA]
SIFT above ingredients together & *set bowl aside
- 4 very large [not small or med size] very ripe bananas if bananas are small add another one.
- 3/4 cup Vanilla Sugar [see recipe dated Oct 9,2011]
- 1/4 lb Butter [I use Land O’ Lakes salted butter always, I know the cook’s shows / recipe books call for non salted, however personally, I can taste the brighter flavour when salt is included in the butter]
- Cream above ingredients in a Stand mixer on MED speed for no more than 5 minutes.
- Add 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk one at a time to Creamed butter mixture ‘TILL BLENDED
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
Add above 4 ingredients to Creamed butter mixture on med speed for 2 minutes.
Then Add Flour Mixture SLOWLY to Cream butter /Banana mixture , till combined
Then Add either 1 cup of *Pecans or *Walnuts just till blended
*Pour batter into Buttered & Floured pan; 8 mini bread pan 30 minutes or bread loaf pan 35 -45 min.
Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then turn out of pan on rack * this is when you may dust with sifted 10x sugar] let set ’till completely cool. *Best the next day covered in refrigerator [freezes beautifully]